Joe Cornish, the great British landscape photographer, advocates taking most of your photographs no more than thirty minutes from your home. So, here's my blog featuring pictures either thirty minutes drive or walk away from my front door or from the place where I'm staying for a few days. I'll also be writing about photography in general from time to time. Please enjoy!



Thursday 10 March 2011

Spring Approaches...

March is here and the world is waking up from its winter slumber. Monday was a lovely day if cold. I set off for an afternoon's photography stretching the 30 minute rule to its maximum in search of some new places to capture.

Astbury is a lovely village and in early spring the village green is ablaze with daffodils making a lovely foreground for the church behind the green. Sadly, its becoming more and more difficult to get a photograph of the church and village green without cars or other modern obstructions spoiling the view. I was too early for the daffodils and there were too many cars around so I contented myself with this picture using the arch of the main gate to frame the church. It's shot with my Leica compact, which really does produce a nice picture.

Click the image for the bigger picture
There's a gorgeous old yew tree in the churchyard, too, with beautiful textures and I'll be going back with the full kit soon.

I made my way home via country lanes and stopped off at a spot I'd always intended visiting when I lived more locally to it. Rode Pool is part of the Rode Hall estate and is a very quiet and peaceful place. By now it was late afternoon and the sun was getting low in the sky. The water on the pool was perfectly calm so out with the Leica to see what the location offered for the future. Here's a shot at the eastern end of the water and once again I'm amazed at the quality my tiny Leica produces.

Click the image for the bigger picture

No comments:

Post a Comment