Joe Cornish, the great British landscape photographer, advocates taking most of your photographs no more than thirty minutes from your home. So, here's my blog featuring pictures either thirty minutes drive or walk away from my front door or from the place where I'm staying for a few days. I'll also be writing about photography in general from time to time. Please enjoy!



Thursday 12 May 2011

The Roll of the Sea*

The west coast of Anglesey has figured large in my recent travels. The glorious Spring weather in the UK have provided many wonderful opportunities and, occasionally, let me dow, too. At this time of year Cable Bay, Tywyn Fferam and Rhosneiger provide stunning sunsets. The first image promised much but fizzled out as the sun dropped towards the horizon and into a bank of sea fog.

This is another early experiment with my small but very useful collection of Lee filters. I used a 0.6 soft grad here to darken the sky but leave the foreground correctly exposed. The shot has been manually metered taking readings from both the sky, sea and foreground to determine the best exposure and filter compensation.

Click the image for the bigger picture
I make no apologies for returning to Tywyn Fferam on Easter Saturday when a real sunset presented itself! Aided and abetted by Lee filters and using the metering technique described above I captured this lovely sunset. To smooth the sea out I added my Lee 2.0 full ND thus reducing the amount of light reaching the sensor allowing slower shutter speeds to be used.


Publish PostClick the image for the bigger picture




*Easter by Marillion from the album 'Seasons End'

No comments:

Post a Comment